The pineapple lends the soup an hint of sweetness while the cumin gives it a complex flavor!
8 Cups Vegetable Stock
2 Tbls EVOO
1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
6 Tbls Minced Ginger
4 Large Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbls Ground Cumin
2 Tbls Ground Corriander
1/2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Red Pepper, diced
4 Medium Yams. Peeled and roughly diced
1 14oz can Pineapple Tidbits, juice reserved
3 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
5 Tbsp Natural Smooth Peanut Butter
1 Bunch Cilantro, chopped
2 Limes, cut in wedges.
Favorite Hot Sauce to Taste
- Heat stock and keep it warm while assembling the other ingredients.
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot heat the oil on medium.
- Add the onion, sauteing for 10 min and stirring occasionally
- Add garlic, ginger and spices and saute until soft and golden.
- Add red pepper, yams and continue to cook until they begin to stick to bottom of pot.
- Cover with vegetable stock, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add pineapple and juice, tomatoes, peanut butter and remaining stock, simmer for 30 mins.
- Puree the soup until smooth either with and immersion blender right in the pot or in a food processor. Be carerful it's hot!
- Simmer for an additional 10 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, more pineapple juice and or hot sauce.
- When serving add chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.